Amanda’s Plate Wall with DISChangers

by Crafts by Amanda on February 8, 2011

This is an older house. The floor plan isn’t open like in newer homes, so we have a dining room next to the kitchen that leads into the living room. When we moved back in here I didn’t hang anything up, much to the dismay of my husband. He’s been hounding me to “get some stuff on the walls”. So when DISChangers said they were sending me some of their self adhesive plate hangers, I knew exactly what I wanted to do.

The first thing I did was hit the thrift store. I found a variety of plates, big and small, a cool round basket and some nifty wooden utensils. I also chose a few plates from the collection I already had at home and arranged them all on the dining room table.

Here’s the before picture. Yep. A blank wall with an electrical outlet smack dab in the middle (from years ago for a lighted china cabinet). Boring, I know.

And the after, much better. :)

I also printed “Time to Eat” on my Silhouette to apply to one of the white plates that I found. You can find the template for that here.

Using DISChangers is really easy and you won’t see any plate holders, just your plates! The discs come in different sizes, each one holding up to a certain weight and/or diameter of plate. The first step is to wet the back of the disc. Just dip your finger in a cup of water then rub your finger around the back of the disc until the glue becomes tacky. Don’t use too much water or you’ll actually wash the glue off.

Press the disc onto the back of the plate. You will of course want to make sure that you line it up with any design on the front of your plate so that when it hangs, it hangs straight. At this point, you will want to allow the discs to set for 24 hours.

Then you just hang them up! I’m pretty happy with how the wall turned out. The green circle is a charger I bought from WalMart on clearance and the sign at the top was a gift from a friend a few years ago. It’s nice having something on the wall now, no more eating dinner with blank walls! :)

I love these DISChangers, and they are so inexpensive. I was looking at their website, and they show you how to use two and a piece of wire to hang heavier items as well.

Like plate projects? Come see the Numbered Plates I did for my kitchen!

Crafts by Amanda

Cassie At Primitive & Proper February 8, 2011 at 1:53 pm

that looks great, amanda! SOOOO much better than if you had to use a bunch of those blate hanger thingies with the ugly metal brackets.

mindy February 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I love how your wall looks! I have always wanted to try the dischangers.

rayan February 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm

i’m dying to try these too! love how this turned out! and your wall color is gorgeous!

Crafts by Amanda February 8, 2011 at 4:01 pm

Thanks ladies! The wall could really use a refresher coat. It was painted in 2007, we moved out and rented the house to two different families, then moved back in around Thanksgiving (2010). So it’s had things hung on it and holes filled and patched twice. But this is a nice way to hide all that! LOL I would LOVE to put crown moulding in here, would look so nice! This is where I sit and work, so I am looking at this wall right now :)

Fawnda February 8, 2011 at 6:02 pm

Amanda- Looks great! I love the basket with the spoons in it too! I cannot wait to try my Dischangers too! : )

kimbowest February 8, 2011 at 7:58 pm

looks great! I love it! it adds so much! those dischangers are the coolest!

Michele Chastain February 8, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Very cool, and looks great! You’ve inspired me! :)

Roeshel February 8, 2011 at 10:01 pm

I love plate walls – and I love your collection. So pretty! Hurray for dischangers! Great job, Amanda!

Crafts by Amanda February 8, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Thanks ladies!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking February 9, 2011 at 12:33 am

Great wall display. I always love plates on a wall! I need to try some dischangers!

gail February 9, 2011 at 2:44 am

I too love this wall of plates! I’ve been thinking about doing it in my kitchen. I just need to find the right mix of plates! Thanks for some great inspiration amanda!
gail

Holly LL February 10, 2011 at 6:14 am

What a fun display. I have all kinds of weird wall in my older home – everything needs to work with the kitchen/dining/living room flow too. Your “Time to Eat” plate is very cute.

Crafts by Amanda February 12, 2011 at 2:15 am

Thanks ladies! I am very pleased with the wall and the hangers!