Krylon Transforms Glass Tabletops into Mirrors

by Maryann on March 22, 2011

Our family room tables have glass inlay centers.  Originally they had 2 pieces, a solid piece of glass and these beveled glass overlays.

I had removed these overlays years ago and they had just been sitting in a closet… till inspiration hit!

Here’s what I used to transform these glass tabletops into mirrors.

{Supplies}

Glass pieces (I used the above tabletops)

Gorilla Super Glue (to fix a broken corner piece)

Krylon’s Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint

Looking Glass®- Mirror Like Paint

DecoArt’s Dazzling Metallics in Shimmering Silver

DecoArt’s Americana in Black

The metal corner piece on one of the glass pieces had separated.

I used Gorilla Super Glue to connect the corner piece back together.  I have been so impressed with Gorilla Super Glue.  It has held up amazingly on everything I’ve used it on.  Just a little dab and after holding the pieces together for 30 seconds it was all fixed!

Next was spray painting Krylon’s Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint.  The paint is sprayed on the reverse side of the glass to create the reflective surface.  So, my pieces of glass are beveled on one side, so I spray painted the other side.

Following the directions on the can, I sprayed the glass in back and forth sweeping motions, starting at the top and working my way down.  You need to do 5 light coats letting the paint dry for 1 minute in between coats.  The photo above is after 2 coats.

Next was getting rid of the brassy gold trim.  I used DecoArt’s Dazzling Metallics in Shimmering Silver and DecoArt’s Americana in Black.  First was a layer of the Shimmering Silver.  Then I put on streaks of Black and then wiped it off quickly (smearing it around a bit).  Then back in with a third layer of some more Shimmering Silver to complete the layered look.

I love my recycled glass tabletops now!

It does not create a true mirror finish, more of an antique, aged mirror finish… but definitely reflective!

If you love paint as much as I do… come on over and visit me at Domestically Speaking.  The weekly Power of Paint Party just started!

Domestically Speaking

laxsupermom March 22, 2011 at 11:19 am

This is amazing! I love your new mirrors! I never knew that mirror-look spray even existed! Can’t wait to run out and look for some. Thanks for sharing.

cassie March 22, 2011 at 12:41 pm

those are awesome, maryann!!!!! what a fantastic idea! i think i might have tossed those tabletops, but they are so cool now!

Tyla March 22, 2011 at 2:18 pm

How clever!!! I love them. Thanks for sharing.

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here March 22, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I have been going crazy and spraying everything with this paint! Love it! Your project turned out wonderful.
Hugs,
Sherry

Jessica March 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Wowsas…these are SO cool!

Lyndee @ A Recovering Craft Hoarder March 22, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I never such a thing existed. How is cool is that?!!

Romina March 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Lovely! This kind of mirror-like paint is not sold in my country… is not faire! jaja

Lovely, lovely, lovely!
Romi

Rhiannon March 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm

oooh wow! that is a cool project!

kimbowest March 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm

my mom has a side table that has the 4 glass panels on top…..I’m so doing this to it! awesome!

gail March 24, 2011 at 2:13 am

very clever! glad you didn’t throw them out!
gail

Holly L March 24, 2011 at 6:01 am

This is gorgeous and brilliant!

Amber @ Do It Yourself Weddings March 24, 2011 at 10:40 pm

LOVE this, and I didn’t even know about mirror paint. Can’t wait to think up some projects using it, thanks!

The Old Block House March 24, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I had no idea there was Krylon’s Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint. There are a couple of projects I’ve been wanting to do, but didn’t want the expense of purchasing mirrors. Thank you!

Tiffany H March 25, 2011 at 4:46 am

Maryanne-
You are a true rockstar! These are absolutely amay…wait for it….zing!

Bev August 31, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I found out about this paint on the Nate Show. I wanted to get if and Finally seen that Hobby Lobby carried it. I think you did an outstanding job. I love it !!!! Just goes to show sometimes its good to hang onto something that could be an original art piece later. I love gorilla glue as well. It’s amazing stuff. Thanks for sharing!!

Keyo December 18, 2011 at 12:01 am

I can’t wait to do a project with this paint.. I am going to try lamps.. going to get a tall glass vase and paint and add the lamp parts. Your repurposed tabletops are beautiful… Thanks for the inspiration.

Karyl Dinkfeld June 14, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Good Afternoon,

You are a savior with this glass/mirror project. Thank you soooo much! Would you have a suggestion on how i can cover a few etched words that are in the corner of my piece of glass so that after I do the mirror finish the etching is still visable? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Sincerely Karyl