Lavender Garland Featuring Styrofoam

by Freckled Laundry on May 1, 2011

Hi, sweets.

Here’s a very easy tutorial to make your own lavender garland. It looks pretty and smells even prettier. Be sure to read down because there’s an important step that will keep your lavender from shedding everywhere.

Materials:

Dried lavender buds (You can purchase them on Etsy if necessary.)

Hemp, lace, ribbon, or whatever string you’d like

School glue

2 Plastic Cups

Skewer

Styrofoam Crafts 1-1/2 inch balls (You can purchase them at Michael’s or JoAnn.)

Step 1:

Fill one cup with glue and the other will lavender.

Step 2:

Push a skewer through the center of a Styrofoam ball & submerge into the glue. Remove. Allow excess to drip off or you can twirl the skewer with your finger tips to remove the extra glue (just make sure the ball is surrounded by the cup).

Step 3:

Dip glue covered ball into lavender and coat it completely. (You may need to tilt/shake the cup a little in order to do so.)

Step 4:

Gently remove the ball from the skewer and let it dry.

IMPORTANT: AFTER 1/2 HOUR TO AN OUR OF DRYING, CUP THE BALL IN YOUR HAND AND PRESS THE LAVENDER FIRMLY INTO THE GLUE. THIS WILL KEEP THE LAVENDER FROM SHEDDING EVERYWHERE! THE GLUE IS TOO RUNNY TO DO THIS STEP WITHOUT ALLOWING TO DRY A LITTLE/TACK UP FIRST. IF YOU TRY TO PRESS THE LAVENDER INTO THE GLUE WITHOUT DRYING, YOU’LL HAVE A HUGE MESS AND YOUR LAVENDER WILL SHIFT, LEAVING “BALD SPOTS.”

Step 5:

After they’ve dried completely, use the skewer holes to thread the hemp through.

Repeat until you have all lavender balls strung!

Thanks for reading! For more projects, tutorials, and vintage chic style, come on over. – Jami

Cheri Peoples May 1, 2011 at 7:48 am

Jami

Those are sooooo adorable. I love them. I wish floral smells didn’t give me migraines.

Cheri

Freckled Laundry May 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

Thanks, Cheri! I bet if you decoupaged over the outside of each ball, you wouldn’t smell the lavender. The matte finish on DecoArt’s new Decou-Page would still keep it looking natural.

Jane @ Mamie Jane's May 1, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hi Jami,
Thanks for the tutorial. The lavender garland is very pretty. Like Cheri, fragrances can give me headaches too. Your tip to decoupage over them is a good idea.
Jane

cassie May 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

sooo pretty! i love the smell of lavender… natural scents don’t give me headaches… love it! it would look so pretty hanging from a pergola on a patio, too! really it owuld look pretty anywhere.

Pam May 1, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Jami this looks like a fun project. Now all I have to do is get some lavender. Thanks for the tutorial.

Holly L May 1, 2011 at 11:43 pm

Really Jami – You amaze me..gorgeous. what a beautiful idea!

Marian/pink princess May 2, 2011 at 4:46 am

BET it smeels heavenly, I love Lavender and have them in my garden so grow my own YAY!! Will try this for sure! Thank you :)

Marian/pink princess May 2, 2011 at 4:47 am

SMELLS duh lol

Faye May 2, 2011 at 11:08 am

I have a huge canister full of fresh lavender for making sachets…this is a great idea to help me use some of that up. I get migraines but not from lavender, it has such a relaxing fragrance. Thank you for this idea!

Freckled Laundry May 2, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Thank you, girls! For some reason I’m not getting your comments to my email but wanted to be sure to thank you!

Rebecca Miller May 2, 2011 at 9:18 pm

I love this idea but I am very allergic to lavender. Is there a different seed I can use? Maybe lemon seed?
Thanks:)
Rebecca

Sharon May 3, 2011 at 8:48 am

I love this project — it’s beautiful, and so easy, too. Thank you for creating this lavender garland with STYROFOAM Brand Foam! Sharon, http://www.styrofoamcrafts.com; http://www.craftsncoffee.com

Sharon May 5, 2011 at 9:39 am

Hi Jami,
I just posted a link to your tutorial on our Facebook page @StyroCrafts. Sharon, http://www.styrofoamcrafts.com; http://www.craftsncoffee.com.

Kristina M May 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm

I didn’t have a great place to string this lavender around. However I found that by putting the stringed balls in a clear vase you still get a great smell and a modern look. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jami at Freckled Laundry May 5, 2011 at 8:53 pm

Thank you girls!

Rebecca – You could absolutely use lemon seed. That would be gorgeous!

Sharon – Thank you for sharing it on the official site…heading over right now!

Cassey May 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm

I too am sensitive to strong smells but I am thinking that this would be amazing with some seed beads or even candy sprinkles to give a bright modern appearance! Excited to give it a try. Thanks for the tute!

Styrofoam May 13, 2011 at 1:46 am

That’s a really nice DIY project. Thanks for sharing.

Beverly June 14, 2011 at 11:33 am

How creative! I love lavender!

Inspire Me Heather September 9, 2011 at 8:23 am

Oh, these little balls are so pretty and I bet they smell just lovely! I have this linked to my decorative balls post too today, for inspiration!

Daqa December 13, 2011 at 2:23 am

noooo, not another project I’m going to have to do!
I think I’ll save this for spring, as the house is full allready with other decoration now. Lovely ideas are offered here, to also use other types of seeds or items. Thank you for sharing this idea!