dutch boy and design divas with some fake board and batten

by kimbowest on September 21, 2011

in case you are new here…i’m cheap.

really cheap.

rrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyy cheap.

and i’m so loving the look of board and batten..and really, it’s a renters dream cause it can be put up with just a few nails..

so i wanted to do it…to jazz up the living room….

you see…the living room shares a ginormous wall with my kitchen…so i thought the board and batten would help define the place.

so i cleared everything out of the way..put a tv show on for the kids….

and painted it bright white from dutch boy!

(the household odors thing is a must!)and did i mention how much i love the lid on this thing! amazing!)

alrighty..ready for the CHEAP part to come out?

my sister in law gave me her leftover wood blinds…oh yes. yes i did.

i spray painted them with krylon’s primer and then gave them top of coat of dutch boy.

i measured out the space between..marked it..and trimmed the blinds with some tin snips (worked great…like a hot knife through butta)

and i put a nail at the top..one in the middle…and one on bottom…

(i also used the blinds across the top)

the white really brightens up my whole room!

and the board and batten really helps so i didn’t have to paint the whole mammoth wall…
some of these things in my living room you  may have seen before (like the pear and the side tables..)
but i thought i would  link to all the tutorials so there are no questions about them!
4 redo (using krylon spray paint

i took a picture from every part of the day! i can’t help it! i love my new room!

if you look closely under the picture frames above my couch…
you can see my new quote from
the minute i pulled it out..i peeled it off and rubbed it on!

isn’t it fantastic!

come by and say hi at my blog!

Donna Bowes September 21, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Follow agaagg and all I have to say is AMAZING!

Sarah Yoder September 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Love this!
From one cheap girl to another…
Wait that came out wrong! (You know what I mean!)
Nice work!

Brittany September 21, 2011 at 5:34 pm

No way!!! This is awesome! I would never have guessed in a million years that you used blinds for this project! Thanks for sharing!

Heather @SimplyCottageLove September 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm

oh no you didn’t! What ingenuity! what courage! That’s fantastic! : )

Tiffany H September 22, 2011 at 1:20 am

Kimbo. You are a rockstar. The end.

simple home life September 26, 2011 at 9:55 am

This looks great! I cant wait till I get my dutch boy paint to do my review!

Aubrey September 27, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Awesome! I too have been wanting to do this look, but was hesitant because I did not have any tools besides a miter box to cut wood. I think that I could totally do this! Now to find some old wood blinds!

Tina September 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love this! What a great idea to re-use the mini blinds!

Mary Ruth Kozma September 27, 2011 at 6:49 pm

This is a wonderful idea for using up blinds found on CL or thrift stores (or the restore) Imagine, with the lightweight of these slats, they could be put on the ceiling!

Mandy September 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I’m impressed! Who would have ever thought. Amazing!!!
I’d love for you to link this up at my Link Party that started today.

Miss Charming October 27, 2011 at 11:40 am

What a brilliant idea! Thanks for the inspiration. (This is absolutely perfect for those of us who don’t own a slew of power tools.)

Joy April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Was wanting to re-do my bathroom but beadboard was too expensive…. just have two small areas to do and this is PERFECT — can’t wait to get started now. Thank you for your geniusness!!!

teri April 13, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Who would’ve ever guessed? My goodness! You really are a genius. And now the possibilities seem endless….ceilings, beadboard? I’m even thinking of framing my flat front UGGO laminate cabinets, and then painting them. Even if I have to go out and buy more blinds, it’s a steal. JCP runs the faux wood ones for $29.99 ALOT. My budget is humming a happy tune….lol! Thank you SOOOOOO much!